I grew up on a farm in Minnesota with horses and dogs. I first started my experience with training dogs by calling Cathy Hubert-Markos at La Crosse Dog Training and asking her if there was any hope for a 3-year-old Beagle. I was told that, yes, there was hope, and indeed there was!! I went on to compete in obedience, agility and tracking with this same beagle. And so it started….my love of training dogs.
I took about 3 years of classes with my Beagle and Boxer. Then, I started being an assistant and helping out with classes, mopping up puppy pee! On to instructing new puppy owners how to get their pups to sit to eventually teaching the whole class. I was with La Crosse Dog Training for about 10 years as a class instructor. I have trained or competed in Obedience, Conformation, Agility, Tracking, and Rally.
My other interest is in reading…..dog books, of course. I also attend many dog-related seminars to keep up my teaching skills. I am also an organist and play for church services and funerals.
Dog trainer Shirley Richards and her canine family.
From left to right: Petey, 6-year-old male Boxer; Lucky, 4-year-old female Beagle; Bobbi, 10-year-old female Beagle; Red, 3-year-old male Red Bone Coon Hound.
Titles and Certifications earned:
- AKC-Companion Dog Title with a Beagle and a Boxer
- AKC-Rally Novice Title with a Beagle
- AKC-Rally Advanced Title with a Beagle
- AKC-Novice Agility Title with a Beagle
- AKC-Novice Agility Jumpers Title with a Beagle
- USA-BOX-Agility Certificate with a Beagle
- USA-BOX-Agility Jumpers Certificate with a Beagle
- USA-BOX-Schutzhund Begleithund (German Companion Dog Title) with a Boxer
- Canine Good Citizen with a Beagle and Boxer
- Therapy Dog through Therapy Dog International with a Beagle and Boxer
- Association of Pet Dog Trainers
- United States Boxer Association
- Provisional judge for Minnesota
- Numerous 4-H dog shows in Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin that include Obedience, Agility, and Showmanship
- Certified Professional Dog Trainer – Knowledge Assessed (CPDT-KA)
- Canine Good Citizen Evaluator (CGC)
- Therapy Dog International Evaluator (TDI)
- Wisconsin 4-H Dog Judge
I am very proud and honored to be a Certificated Pet Dog Trainer – Knowledge Assessed. Being able to place those initials behind my name means I am able to help dogs and their families, providing them confidence in my training and knowledge! I am 1 of 1,500+ Certificated Pet Dog Trainers in the United States, Canada, Austria, Singapore, Japan, Australia, and the Bahamas.