Redeeming Your Pet
The Coulee Region Humane Society is the legal stray-holding facility for La Crosse County. If you believe that your animal is here as a stray, please read the following redemption policy and procedure to reclaim your pet.
You will need the following items to redeem your animal.
- A state-issued ID
- A current rabies certificate or a pre-paid rabies appointment
- A current license
A compliance or citation can be given to you by Animal Control for a variety of reasons, including the current condition of the animal, running at large, failure to vaccinate, etc.
Portraits by Hilary Running
Redemption Policy and Procedure
- Please call the Coulee Region Humane Society at 608-781-4014. Staff members are available throughout the week to go over the redemption process with you in detail. Your animal can be redeemed during our business hours as follows.
- 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday
- 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday
- 1 to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- There is a fee to redeem your animal. This fee is determined based on any previous redemption at our shelter and amount of days the animal has been held at our facility.
- By law, we allow four days for an owner to come forward and reclaim their pet. After four days; however, by law, we would gain ownership of the animal.
- Proof of rabies is required to redeem your pet. Proof of licensure may be required depending on the municipality in which you live. All dogs in the state of Wisconsin are required by law to be licensed.
- If you do not have a current rabies vaccination, you will be required to pre-pay for one at your vet clinic and schedule an appointment to have it administered within 10 days of reclaiming you pet.
- If applicable, you will be required to license at our shelter.
- A rabies or license tag is not sufficient proof. A tag alone does not ensure that it is linked back to the pet you are reclaiming.
- The legal owner of the animal is required to perform the redemption. If necessary, the legal owner can give permission over the phone or in writing for someone else to redeem his or her pet.
- You must be 18 years or older to redeem an animal to our shelter.
- A driver’s license or state issued ID is required.